NES Employees File Lawsuit Claiming Exposure to Asbestos
In a recent report, twelve employees have filed a lawsuit against Nashville Electric Service (NES), claiming they were unknowingly exposed to asbestos.
According to the lawsuit filed in Davidson County Circuit Court, the NES employees were instructed to remove fireproof wraps on underground conductors that they later found had contained asbestos. The employees claim they were not told by NES that the wraps contained any asbestos materials, and were not provided the proper protective equipment necessary to handle the job safety.
While the employees also allege that NES was aware of the high levels of asbestos exposure following a TOSHA investigation in 2008, an NES spokesperson stated in response that, "...the lawsuit is flawed, and NES will vigorously defend the case."
"Tennessee Occupation Safety and Health Administration (TOSHA) investigated these allegations, and all were corrected by NES in October/November of last year. NES’ foremost concern is the safety of our employees and the public. We have a safety department whose sole purpose is to ensure that we work as safely as possible," corporate communications supervisor Laurie Parker said. "In 2011, we also implemented a Safety Initiatives Program to standardize work practices, require safety manual training for every employee, establish specialized training for supervision and field workers, and fund the construction of a dedicated safety training facility which is nearing completion."
Do you have questions or concerns regarding being exposured to asbestos? If so, contact an asbestos mesothelioma lawyer to discuss how you may be entitled to compensation for any health complications due to asbestos or mesothelioma.